Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Fish

Old 08-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Peterock

Peterock is on a distinguished road
Default Whats in your tank and why

Hello all this thread is to see what people have in there tanks (fish) and why there chose those creatures.

1- Kole tang: because if aggression to alage, color and shy personality
1- hippo tang: He is a funny character
2- false clowns: The wifes choice ( i will leave before the nemos will)
1- yellow tail damsel: to fast to catch, so now he is the enforcer and keeps the peace
1- 6 line wrass: eats all the bad little creatures
1- solarencsis wrass: Color and laid back attitude
2- scooter blennies: really playfull and always playing hide go seek
Peterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

Currently I only have 3 fish in my tank.
1. Dusky Jawfish - had for about 2 and a half years. fantastic fish for anyone with a DSB. Though it will disrupt your rockwork until it finishes building a burrow. Always perched with its head sticking out of his burrow.

2. Flame Angel - Had for about 6 months. Very colorful fish that is always on the move picking algae from the rocks. Difficult to photograph because it doesn't stay still long enough.

3. Bicolor Clenny - had for a year and a half. Great fish with a peaceful but somewhat timid personality. Eats Algae.

I haven't seen my neon goby for a few months now, so I assume he became a snack for something larger.

Currently looking to get a midas blenny and a yellow tang.

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Display
1 neon goby
1 true percula
1 mandarin dragonet
1 mini Lionfish (baby volitan)

Refugium 1 (cycling 55 FOWLR tank)
1 lane snapper
1 lionfish
1 black lionfish
Old 03-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
EvilTwin
One lucky reefkeeper

EvilTwin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EvilTwin

I figure I'll post in here as well...

2 Yellowtail Blue Damsels - I originally bought one of these after the tank cycled. Later read they should be kept in groups. I bought two more, one died.

1 Bicolor Pseudochromis - Bought at the same time as the first damsel. Picked out by my daughter. Again, just a trial before getting anything more expensive.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish - Bought two. After all, any parent setting up a SW tank has to get a Nemo for the kids. This was one of my original motivations for setting up the tank.

1 Yellow Tang - Wife really wanted a "Bubbles" fish. After having him and watching him get stressed, I was "forced" to upgrade to the 75g tank.
Tidepool SOS overflow
Seaclone 150 skimmer
90 lbs live rock
80+ lbs of sand and aragonite
MAG3 return pump and 2 PH's

Critters: 2 ocellaris clowns, bicolor pseudochromis, 2 yellowtail damsels, yellow tang, peppermint shrimp, a single green polyp zoanthid, Blushing Finger Leather, TWO Green Bubble Tip Anemones, Xenia (withering), Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, mushrooms, Kenya tree
EvilTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Peterock

Default additional

Well i lost my kole tang and my hippo after having them for a while my stupid anemone ate my kole tang and i found my hippo sitting in the overflow. So i got more fish

2- Pajama cardinals: They add something mysterious to the tank because they dont really move.

1- clarkie: broke my nano tank down and had to put him somewhere, now him and my percs are chasing eachother and fighting but i cant catch him with the net. O well.....

Looking to add my final fish next weekend 1- coral beauty or flame angle, 1-cleaner wrasse, 3 green/blue chromis
Old 03-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
FragOutpost
Administrator

Unless you have a big tank with a lot of big fish, I would reconsider getting a cleaner wrasse. I bought one last year without doing any research on them before hand. It slowly withered away because it has a very specialized diet that consists of parasitic isopods. The only food I could get it to take was cyclopeeze. In my opinion you will be much happier with a big cleaner shrimp.

Flame angels are great colorful fish. I have heard that coral beautys will nip corals but have never kept one so I can't say for sure. I really like my flame angel. It stayed hidden most of the time until I added a purple tang. Now the flame angel almost always swims side by side with the tang.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Peterock

Thanks for the info i think i will get a cleaner shrimp instead and as far as the angles i think the wife and i will like the flame there is one at the store and he is in with a lot of polyps.....
Old 03-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
FragOutpost
Administrator

So far my flame angel has been great. I have not seen it nip any corals but I suspect that it might be nipping one certain acro. But the damage has not been very bad at all.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
EvilTwin
One lucky reefkeeper

EvilTwin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EvilTwin

What I would like to know is whether or not I could add a different tang to my tank. I currently have a yellow tang, and I thought I could maybe add another tang with a different body type, like a powder blue or blue hippo. If I do this, I think the best time would be when I put the new LR in as I'm going to modify the aquascape and disturb some of the existing territories. Thoughts?
EvilTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
FragOutpost
Administrator

A 75 gallon tank is the smallest tank that I would add a tang to. If you do decide to add another then choosing one that is of a different body type and color would probably be best. I would definitely not add any more than two. Also remember that tangs eat and poop a lot and need to be fed multiple times per day. Keep an eye on your bioload and wet skim and you should be fine. I think that when you are adding more rock and adjusting the territories it would be a good time to add the additional tang. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
salazar

salazar is on a distinguished road

I bought a Clown Tang Thurs. it came out a couple of times. I found he had died today.I know my tank parameters are very good ,I retested today.This is the same LFS that refunded my Blue Xinea.Im starting to wonder about thier livestock but they did good and refunded so i brought home a Flasher Wrasse. He is eating after beening the tank for 2 Hrs.The acclimation went very smooth, i wanted to be extra carefull to rule that out as a possibility.Hopefully those were weak from transport.Any info on the wrasse it is red with a white underside with yellow on the finsIwill post pic later
salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Peterock

I have tried a blue hippo twice now i am starting to get the idea that my tank just dont like them so i am planning on if i get a second tang that it will be a convict because i think the white(grey) with black stripes would add some more depth to the tank.

Yellow tangs i have one in my tank and he is great he is a constant grazer but i have him eating more of my special mix food although he would like to graze. he only nibbles at the seaweed clip i have in there.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #13
salazar

salazar is on a distinguished road

The Flame Angel is the fish i have wanted ( i think for its price and color it tops some of the more expesive fish) but rather play it safe, i dont want a major breakdown of rocks if it starts to nip which i thought was a pretty good chance..if not i want one! I just recently took back a Clown Angel that was stressed and died a day later and feel like i settled for a red /white flasher wrasse it is a good looking fish with orange on its fins but i was looking foward to watching what would have been a nice fish Ihave been wanting to re-do my livestock to a more colorful reef. I was wanting to get rid of the 4 very healthy seahorses, black damselw/blue stripes keep the Yellow headed sleepgoby for the sand he gets things done and keeps it really clean. Keep four really nice colored fish,Flame Angel?
Yellow Tang?
Regal Tang?
Nice Green Fish( a any sugg.)
salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
FragOutpost
Administrator

I really enjoy having my Flame Angel. I have never seen it nip any corals. I have heard that they can nip certain corals, but I would guess that most likely they are just eating the algae that might be growing around the corals.
One small tang in a 46 bowfront is kind of pushing the limits, not to mention two tangs in a 46. Tangs and Flame Angels will compliment each other nicely but these are rather big fish for a 46 gallon tank.

Ron Shimek recommends against keeping sand sifting gobies as they are essentially sifting out all of the organisms that are beneficial to your sand bed. Although they will do a good job at turning the top layer of the sand bed which will slow the growth of algae or diatoms.

The only green fish that I can think of off the top of my head at the moment would be the mandarin dragonets and the green chromis. The mandarins are difficult fish to keep as they will require a specialized diet of pods usually requiring a refugium set up to maintain a constant food supply and a lack of other fish that will compete for the same food source. Green chromis are a schooling fish that will do best when kept in groups of three or more and will require a lot of swimming room.