Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 03-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
rembranty

rembranty is on a distinguished road
Default First SPS Experience

I figured we could all talk about our first SPS coral experience here be it a good or bad one.

Here is mine. Well after originally thinking I would never do a reef aquarium, only fish, I moved into reef aquariums. Later SPS became an idea in my head so upon arriving at the local fish store I asked about SPS corals and the guy said "Who would want those, they are all brown?" Yes a store owner said this. Well months later and after changing store locations with a tank that was used for live rock them mangroves and another time, this tank was used for his large order of wild SPS corals. All running $60. Well I bought one a just a few days later, RTN. Rapid Tissue Necrosis, white band disease specifically, strips of flesh tear away from the inside and dont start from the tips. Well I was mad and before I knew it the whole tank he had had this happen so he got what he deserved for selling crappy corals. And he lost a lot. He is just always trying to make a buck. So now I really only by frags. Well that is my story, just when you start with SPS corals, start slow, buy ONE.

Last edited by rembranty : 03-30-2005 at 09:28 PM.
rembranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

A few years ago I had purchased a couple of SPS frags from a local coral farmer. One was a bird's nest and the other a pavona frag. I trimmed back my forest of xenia, at the time, to make room for them. The frags grew pretty good for a few months before the bird's nest died. The pavona, a great beginner SPS, proved to be very hardy and continued to grow as I learned to provide better care and conditions for keeping higher demand corals.

I agree that people that are new to SPS should start slow, and with frags instead of colonies to limit or reduce the chance of loss. Failure should be a learning experience on the road to success in this hobby. Keeping and growing SPS corals is very rewarding and requires a higher level of patience and commitment than I realized when first starting out.

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
ClarkiiClown

ClarkiiClown is on a distinguished road

So far I only have one Acro frag. It is still alive and will soon VERY SOON have better light. Hopefully then it will start to grow out.

SPS is much more demanding....

ClarkiiClown is offline   Reply With Quote