Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
EvilTwin
One lucky reefkeeper

EvilTwin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EvilTwin
Default The value of corals

One of the things that has been a question rolling around in my head when looking for corals to buy is, what is the real value of a particular coral. I am new to a lot of this and I'm sure that the growing popularity of marine reefkeeping is making the prices go up. I am also familiar with the whole supply/demand thing. But the question that looms large for me is whether or not I am paying too much for a coral. For example: The only major coral I have is a Blushing Finger Leather, which I paid $30 for. Frag pointed out this to be a Cladiella sp. coral. Mine is about 3 inches across, now that it is open. Did I just get a good deal on what I bought? It seems to me that there are so many places from which to acquire corals by simply trading with other hobbyists, this site included, but for the beginner who has nothing to trade, it could end up being very costly to get enough stock to trade with.

Personally, I'd love to be able to trade with others if I had something to trade back in return. Given the rates at which some of this stuff grows, it seems it could be easy to turn a small profit with a nicely stocked tank and a willing LFS owner that would buy your frags. Honestly, I don't even know if they do that. Are most LFS interested in purchasing frags from local hobbyists and how do you set the value on what you sell to a LFS? If I could propogate a frag or two to double in size, should I then be able to recoup my initial cost with those?

Mostly, I think if I had some nice things to trade, I'd probably be more apt to give them than charge for them. Keeps thing simpler that way. But since I'm getting started, and most people including myself are apt to equate price with value or rarity, how do you go about finding good specimens at a fair price without getting taken to the cleaners?
Tidepool SOS overflow
Seaclone 150 skimmer
90 lbs live rock
80+ lbs of sand and aragonite
MAG3 return pump and 2 PH's

Critters: 2 ocellaris clowns, bicolor pseudochromis, 2 yellowtail damsels, yellow tang, peppermint shrimp, a single green polyp zoanthid, Blushing Finger Leather, TWO Green Bubble Tip Anemones, Xenia (withering), Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, mushrooms, Kenya tree

Last edited by EvilTwin : 03-01-2006 at 10:33 AM.
EvilTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

This is a very interesting point that you bring up. A coral's price can depend on many factors including but not limited to -
  • The type of coral - SPS generally are more expensive than soft corals or zoanthid frags
  • The color of the coral - Brightly colored corals will fetch a higher price
  • Current market demand - What some people consider the current "hot" coral will usually drive prices up
  • Rate of growth
  • Selection at local LFS - obviously coral selection and supply will vary greatly from major cities on the coasts where corals are imported and rural areas where aquarium stores are not as common
  • How rare the specimen is
Trading corals with other hobbyists is a great way to add some variety to your tank. Don't worry if you do not currently have a lot to trade. Start off with a few colorful easy to grow corals like green star polyps, xenia, toadstools, sinularia, mushrooms, etc. Before you know it you will have plenty to trade. Is there a local marine aquarium society that you could join? Also talk to your local stores to find what is in high demand and focus your efforts on growing that. Xenia is a coral that is a notoriously bad shipper which makes it an ideal candidate for propagation for local sales.

Quote:
But the question that looms large for me is whether or not I am paying too much for a coral. For example: The only major coral I have is a Blushing Finger Leather, which I paid $30 for.
$20-$30 dollars for a blushing leather frag of the size that you have bought is not unreasonable from a LFS. Most people do not realize how much overhead a LFS has and how slim some of their margins are.

Look around online for corals you are interested in and calculate the best price you can find plus shipping charges and most local stores will at least attempt to price match or come close.

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Teeka01

Teeka01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Teeka01

This is something I have thought of every since I have had an interest in this hobby. My LfS in the area prices are real high. We do have a local club that blast you if you even mention getting anything online. Our local club even has an online forum. The LFS come on their and really blast you if you dare to say anything that they don't like. I am thinking about making the trip into Orlando just to see what is there. It is about 1 1/2 hours from here.
Teeka01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

Hey Teeka,
Sounds like you are from Jax. There are some good stores in Gainesville too if you are up for a drive.

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Teeka01

Teeka01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Teeka01

Actually Gainseville is also cool as that is where my daughter and granddaughter lives.
Teeka01 is offline   Reply With Quote