Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > Community Center > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
reefergirl

reefergirl is on a distinguished road
Default Ice fishing in canada

Hello,just thought I would show you what i do for fun other than reef keeping.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

Wow Reefergirl, that is absolutely amazing. I have never seen actual snow before so I am always impressed by seeing photos like this. This might be a stupid question but, how do you tell how thick the ice is and know that it is safe to walk on? How often do you go ice fishing? How long throughout the year are the lakes frozen over? It is 80+ degrees F where I am today. This year was a very warm winter for me in FL with the temps rarely dipping below 32. It looks like summer will come early this year. Maybe I should go outside and take some photos for comparison. It is becoming too hot now to even open the windows and let some fresh air in. How do you plan on cooking your fish?

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
reefergirl

Default ice fishing

The ice is over 3 feet thick you can drive a car out there I cant believe you have never seen snow before.I cook the fish on the wood stove in the ice hut.here are some more pics to cool you off.The snow was over three feet you could build a igloo out there.The one pic is my uncle doing his buisness out there you have to go quick or you will freeze your balls off.The average temp was 24 below, thats right I said below and that is celceius not ferinhieght(please excuse my spelling).If you ever want to come to canada would be happy to take you ice fishing but you would have to come in the winter.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
FragOutpost
Administrator

Yikes -24 C. Now that is cold!
Excellent pics! Especially the one of your uncle. I'm sure he would appreciate you posting it! If I am ever in Canada I will for sure take you up on your offer, but I don't see myself visiting Canada anytime soon. It has frosted here in FL before but no where near enough to even make a single snowball. Please forgive my ice fishing ignorance but how do you drill a hole through ice that is 3 feet thick? Is that your ice hut? If so, how do you get it to the lake and back? What kind of fish are those? What do you use for bait? Do you bottom fish or fish near the surface? I'll have to add ice fishing to the list of things to do in my life. Seems like fun to pull up a chair next to a hole in the ice and drink beer and catch fish.

I'm plan to go fishing this weekend depending on the tides. I'll bring my camera and snap a feww photos to show you what it is like here.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
reefergirl

you drill the hole with a power auger it is beside the snowmobile in one of the pics,you take the hut out on the back of a snowmobile.the fish in the pic are pike and perch very good eating ,you fish with minnows about 1 foot from the bottom of lake you can feel the bottom with your line then bring it up about 1 foot.you dont have to worry about your beer getting warm but you do have to worry about it freezing.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
FragOutpost
Administrator

That's really cool. I appreciate you sharing your photos!

Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Teeka01

Teeka01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Teeka01

Very interesting, I have seen plenty of snow. But I have never been fishing in it.
Teeka01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
FragOutpost
Administrator

Hey reefergirl - Check out this thread for a little contrast.
http://www.fragoutpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313