Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
foxface

foxface is on a distinguished road
Post My first silly question

When buying corals you always hear "this one grows fast" or "this one grows slow". Can someone give an example of the time frame? I know this is probably not the same for every aquarium but a ballpark figure would be cool!
I have a green star Polyp that is about 3" x 4", what could I expext in the next 3-6 months?
Louise
foxface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
jasno999

jasno999 is on a distinguished road

The problem is that it is hard to say. Each tank is different and coral will gorw differently in each tank. Lighting, water quality, supplements, etc. all add into the equation.

For ecxample I had a bunch of sand polyups that never grew when I added them to the tank. THey opened and were fine but they did not grow. At the same time my bubble coral was huge and expanded and seemed happy.

Well abotu a month ago I changed the bulb on my power compact. The other bulb was old and I went fro ma 50/50 bulb to a full 10K bulb. (I have a 96 watt power quad on a 10 gallon tank). Well in the last month I have noticed the polyups are not expanding and coverin more of the rock surrounding them. I have also noticed the bubble coral is small. I am still nto positive if that is a bad sign for the bubble but it might just be because it does nto need as much light anymroe so it does nto expand to it's maximum.

Point is I am not perfect and my tank always needs some work but simple things liek lighting can have huge impacts. So if you have good quality water and lighthing you shoudl see polyups multiply fast- say a half inch+ every 3 months.

Other corals I am not sure about.
jasno999 is offline   Reply With Quote