Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Coral Propagation

Old 05-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

The downside to the superglue gel is that once it comes in contact with water it almost cures instantly. If only someone would invent some superglure that works underwater!?!

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
jinenon

jinenon is on a distinguished road

ok i tried the epoxy yesterday and its holding my live rock pieces pretty good. The kind i used is "Pc-Marine epoxy putty". It is the clay type that you have to knead then cure for an hour. I could not find anything at any store that actually said "safe for potable/drinking water". Although, this epoxy said its "safe for water and stock tanks, fish boxes and pools". So, I'm assuming its safe for fish although i have not put the liverock frags back in the tank yet til i heard from you guys.
Thanks for the input on the superglue. I think im gonna go for that since it has a short cure time and i am assuming you dont take a risk of killing a zoo or shroom because of leaving it out of water too long waiting for the glue to cure. BTW- how long does it take for super glue to cure before you can put your frag back in the tank without harming other inhabitants?

*The picture below* The white dot zoos are what i want to transfer to the new piece of live rock i just pieced together.
jinenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
jinenon

sorry forgot the pic
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
FragOutpost
Administrator

Most epoxies are safe to use. The kind that I use I get from lowes and it specifically says safe to use for potable water. I'm sure that the stuff that you have is fine for use in your tank. You can leave corals out of the tank for quite a while without adverse effects. Some reefs in nature are actually exposed for several hours at low tide in direct sunlight. Superglue will usually form a good bond after a few minutes and then can be placed back in the tank. I would guess around three to five minutes. You could probably leave mushrooms out of water for at least an hour without any problems. Not that I recommend it but you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
jinenon

Thank you "Frag" and everyone else. You guys are a well of knowledge and I appreciate everything you have done for me.

Jesse
Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
jinenon

Thanks for all your help guys. I got to try alot of the methods to frag all at once and i will keep you posted as to what does the best. I did the shotglass trick with some shrooms, did the epoxy with some live rock, did the superglue with some zoos. So far the mushrooms look pretty good. One larger set of zoos with superglue are doing fantastic and the other smaller frag i may have used too much glue cuz they havent come out to "sun" since i did it. But overall its working better than i expected. Thanks for the info for my first initiation to propagating. I love this forum!!
Jesse
Old 05-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
FragOutpost
Administrator

Thumbs up

You will be a pro in no time at all!