View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
EvilTwin
One lucky reefkeeper

EvilTwin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EvilTwin

Well, I am really lost with all this talk of skimmers, sumps overflows, etc. Just TMI for me to absorb in a day. Our chat helped yesterday but I am now having trouble figuring out what direction I want to go.

After trying to clean my Seaclone 150 skimmer yesterday, it started to leak at the seal in the base where the j-tube connects. I figure it's time to pony up for a much better rated skimmer. I've decided I want an Aqua C, but do I go with the HOT Remora or the sump Urchin model? Getting a sump model requires the additional complexity and expense of adding a sump and overflow and the perils that come with that. A HOT model will replace my current one but has it's own issues on my tank.

I have a canopy on my tank. It's nice, makes the tank look more like furniture and I've already bought it, so I'd like to keep using it. Wife would be mad if I don't. The problem with the canopy is that the current skimmer I have is so tall that the canopy brace in the rear actually rests on to pof the collection cup. I must remove the canopy to empty the cup. I only have 5 inches of clearance between the top edge of the tank and the underside of the canopy. The other factor is noise. Buying a good HOT skimmer like the Remora means I won't be able to use it in a sump later on.

Checking the sump route, I was able to get a storage container of 24x17x15 into the openining in the stand. It was 18+ gallons in size. Is this enough? This would also require getting an overflow box. Not a big deal but I want to get a good one. Recommendations here? Also, when I look at a skimmer to put underneath, I need to be wary of the skimmer height. Since the stand has drawers, there isn't much more room obove the door height.

Another option that my wife suggested was this: since the majority of the wall behind the tank covers open space in my unfinished basement area, I could run the pipes through the wall to another stand set up back there for the sump. Not a bad idea but I'd be worried about water contamination, since I do various other things like sawing and such back there. I would still have to worry about the overflow box, too. Are there any considerations if I wanted to build a nice refugium/sump back there and put it on a stand? how high musthe stand be/not be?

My head hurts thinking about all of this.
EvilTwin is offline   Reply With Quote