PDA

View Full Version : Long Neck and Cherry Claims

Teeka01
04-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Ponieexpress and I are having a disagreement over these claims. I think they would not be good to use in a reef system. What is everyone's opion on this?

FragOutpost
04-24-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure that I know what you mean. What is long neck and cherry?

Teeka01
04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Sorry, These are eating clams. But Ponieexpress read somewhere you could use them to lower your nitrates. I think that they would pose more problems. Such as when they die it would be hard to tell.

FragOutpost
04-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Oh ok. I know what you are talking about now. Clams can be an effective way to filter nutrients from the water column but I have not tried it with eating clams. I would think that if a clam was suitable for life in the aquarium then it would be an effective nutrient reducer. I think the problem would be if you had too many of them and there was not enough food in the water column to sustain them and additional food would need to be added to keep a large colony alive. Not sure though. You will have to try it and let us know! :D

Teeka01
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I am worried about trying anything unproven on my tank. I am worried about it with it being so new I don't want a crash on my hands.

FragOutpost
04-24-2006, 02:15 PM
IMO - The problem with those types of clams is that they are non-photosynthetic and therefore would rely upon the water column as their only food source. Once the nutrient level dropped below sustainable levels, extra food would need to be provided for these clams. I think you could be successful with a very small number of them to compliment your existing cleanup crew.

Teeka01
04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Talking about clew up crew this is what I am getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7760327561&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

With clean up crews being so expensive I got a auction. But instead of 50 hermits I am getting 30 hermits and 30 turbos. At the local LFS turbos are $3.99 each. So I feel this is a better deal.

marineflora
04-26-2006, 02:12 PM
teeka, you need to look me up when i'm finally up and running. my prices will be very competitive.