PDA

View Full Version : A silly question

Teeka01
04-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I have heard people say that that run their skimmer wet or dry. What does it mean? Which is better?

FragOutpost
04-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Not a silly question at all! :)
When someone refers to running a skimmer either wet or dry they are talking about the consistency of skimmate that is produced by the skimmer. Dry skimmate is usually much darker in color and much thicker in consistency, think about is being more sludge like I guess. Whereas running a skimmer wet will produce a much thinner and lighter skimmate, imagine more like a light tea. Running wet will produce a much larger volume of skimmate but it will be less potent so to speak. To adjust my skimmer I just modify the height of the output. I try to run mine as wet in order to remove as much organic material as possible. Everyone has their own opinion as to what method works best, but I prefer wet.

Teeka01
04-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I have been having someproblems setting the skimmer. First I was running wet. I was having to empty it 2 to 3 times a day. The problem I had is I had to sit on top of the skimmer and watch it. Otherwise it would overfill back into my sump. So I lower it alittle bit now it is running dry. The skimmate is real dark. It is giving a little over 1/3 inch skimmate a day.

Teeka01
04-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Another question. Someone at my Hubby's work said that we should turn the skimmer off. They told him it would extend the cycling time. I have read the oppesite. Which is correct?

FragOutpost
04-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Does the skimmer collection cup have a drain where you can attach a tube that runs to a larger collection container? My collection cup drains into a 2 quart plastic pitcher that hangs on the side of my sump.

Personally I would run the skimmer during the cycle but some people choose not to. I have not read about any studies or articles on whether or not it will extend the cycle. I would rather get as much waste removed as possible.

Teeka01
04-03-2006, 09:57 AM
No my cup doesn't have a tube running off it. I have been running the skimmer since day 1. I do not plan on turning it off. If it extends the cycle so be it. I have the patients to wait it out. My hubby is a worry wart. LOL.

FragOutpost
04-03-2006, 10:05 AM
My hubby is a worry wart. LOL.

LOL. :)
I'm not sure how it would extend the cycle because with the addition of liverock I would think that there would be more than enough food present for the nitrifying bacteria to begin their work.

Teeka01
04-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I know I am showing my newness with all this. There are 2 newbies in our house. I feel like the old saying "The blind leading the blind". But I have done more studing so he ask me the questions. If I am not sure of the answer I will post the question here. I love this site. The questins get answered with no flames or belittleing. Thank you for all your information that you are always willing to give.

FragOutpost
04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
This is the kind of hobby where the learning never ends. I learn something new all of the time and am still far from being an expert. I'm glad that you find the site helpful. Anything that I don't have an answer to, I'll be happy to research until I find an answer.