PDA

View Full Version : Hey all

Symbiosis
03-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Just thought id say hi to everyone on the forums. I just found this awesome place and will surely be on here a lot.

FragOutpost
03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Welcome aboard Symbiosis! :)
Tell us about your tank. How long have you been in the hobby?

Peterock
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Welcome and hope we can bring you much info and knowledge..... :D

Teeka01
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome to a great place!!!!

EvilTwin
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Tell us about your tank (if you have one, of course)

Symbiosis
03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Right now I have a 20 gallon FOWLR which I plan to slowly change over to a reef. I really wish I would have gotten a much bigger tank to start with, but at the time I wasn't even planning on using it for a marine system.
Not running anything fancy, just low tech stuff for now:
Powerfilter
Visitherm 100 watt
AquaClear 402 powerhead
13lbs LR
13lbs Coral Skeleton from Hawaii
1 inch aragamax bed (0.5-1.0mm)

Current residents:
1 yellow tail damsel
1 ocellaris clown
1 royal gramma (seems to have experienced a crash. Had an issue with micro bubbles and ever since he has been shy and acting strangley. Haven't seen him all day. Was eating yesterday and has no signs of any parisites or fungus.)
1 zebra brittlestar
8 trochus snails

Feeding includes a mix of mysis, flakes, and pellets. Occasional shrimp chunks for the brittlestar

I said it was a FOWLR, but in reality there is some coral in there. Porites lobata wandered in on the LR, but is rather brown for insufficient light/flow at its current location. Hopefully it can hang on till I can re-aqauscape or upgrade the lighting.
I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 4 months. Had goldfish as a kid but they kept dying which kinda turned me off to aquatic life. Have kept just about everything else with succes including snakes, frogs, salamanders, lizards, mice, rats, hamsters, dogs, cats. After some extensive reading on WWM, I decided to give marine life a shot. Other than the gramma's inexplicable decline in health, so far so good!

Water parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - < 10
Temp. - 78F
S.G. - 1.023

Currently in the process of setting up an 18 gallon fuge with a DSB to add much needed volume and lower my nitrates. Getting my chaet. from a member of this site! Though at the moment all I can use for top off and change water is from the tap, coralline seems to love it. Even my coral skeleton which i've had for about 2 months is showing growth and vibrant color.

Phew! So thats my info.

FragOutpost
03-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the detailed description of your tank. You must have some pretty good tap water in Idaho. Are you on a well or city water? My tap water is horrible to say the least.
Do you plan on adding more corals? Got any pics?
Glad to see that you've signed up! I hope you find it find our community helpful. :)

Symbiosis
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
The tap water where im at right now is pretty soft. It really depends on where you are though. South Boise has really hard water and so does the Meridian area. The 'bench' which is above south Boise has the softest water i've ever seen while in Idaho. My goal for the summer is to have at least a 75 gallon drilled tank with over flow and an RO/DI unit. Not to mention at least one MH so I can try some SPS and clams.

For now I think my next upgrade will be some T5 lights. Im thinking of trying the Current USA Nova's I read about on here. At the least it will be a step up from my current 50/50 flourescent.

Im going to start a thread about my fuge set up and try and put some pics up on there tonight.

D12monkey
03-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome aboard the Fragoutpost Express. :D