PDA

View Full Version : The Acclimation Process

FragOutpost
02-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to start a thread about acclimating new fish/corals/critters to your tank. I'll explain my process below.

Turn off metal halides leaving only the actinics on
Float bags in tank for about 5 minutes to let the temperatures equalize
Fix yourself a frosty adult beverage while waiting on step 2 (optional)
After 5 minutes I open the bag, roll down the plastic, and clip to side of tank with clothespin (see photo below)
Using a turkey baster, add some tank water to the bag.
Every 1-2 minutes remove a some water from the bag and discard and add more tank water to the bag.
After about 10-15 minutes I will pour out and discard most of the water in the bag and empty the specimen into a pitcher or container. Reach in with your hands and place the specimen in your tank. I think that this method causes less stress than using a net.
I try to keep the acclimation process as short as possible. I believe that this causes less stress on the specimen. When adding fish to your tank I would recommend feeding the fish in your tank before starting the acclimation process to lower any potential aggression from your current fish.

FragOutpost
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
What is your acclimation method?

Peterock
02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Very nice thread i was thinking of writing one up my self here is what i do.

1) Turn off MH
2) float bags for 10 mins, unopened
3) Open bags let float for 5 min to release any heat from bag (use cloths pen to hold in place)
4) Use turkey baster get 1 full tube and squirt in bag wait 3min
5) use turkery baster again but 2 full tubes wait 5 min
6) Repeat step 5 5 times
7) use fish net to grab fish and then place in tank.

** again this is all from my experience*****

I have found the net is less harmful due to the oils or ADULT BEVERAGE THAT SPILLED ON HANDS to be safer and the fish is relaxed as much as possible. *release the fish in a area where there is less traffic so he doesn't get beat-up to quickly)

FragOutpost
02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for sharing Peterock. I always rinse my hands really, really well with tap water before sticking them in the tank and wash thoroughly with soap afterwards.

Peterock
02-23-2006, 05:29 PM
i know just playing :) :D