PDA

View Full Version : epoxy to attach frags?

pogo
01-18-2006, 09:09 AM
i keep reading about people using epoxy to attach frags to their existing rockwork. i have been looking for epoxy but can not find it. what type of epoxy do i need for this?
thanks

FragOutpost
01-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Epoxy can usually be found in the plumbing section of your local hardware store, Lowes, or Home Depot. Even Wal-Mart carries epoxy.

Epoxy usually comes in two different forms. The first is almost like clay or play-doh. It will be in an stick consisting of an outer layer, usually blue or grey, and an inner core. Then you just cut of a little bit and mix with your hands until uniform in color. As far as I know most putty is inert and safe for use in the reef auqarium but I usually will opt for a brand that specifically mentions "for potable water use" or "for drinking water use".

The other type of epoxy is a two-part liquid or gel substance. I have heard of people using it in their reef aquarium but I have never tried it before. Maybe someone with more experience with this stuff can chime in.

HTH

pogo
01-18-2006, 10:11 AM
great. i will go check my local home depot and see what i can find.

thanks.

D12monkey
02-16-2006, 10:03 PM
I personally stick to the clays. As it's a little less messy. But if you plan on epoxing rockwork before getting them wet then the 2 part liquid works better.

pogo
02-17-2006, 07:50 PM
thanks for the advice. i found the clay type epoxy at home depot and asked the guy if it was safe for drinking water and he said yes. so far i have used it to mount a few frags and connect some of the liverock structure together. i think the clay type is a little difficult to get stuck to the rockwork but i eventually got everything mounted in place. thanks again.