PDA

View Full Version : Calcium, Alkalinity, & Supplements

FragOutpost
08-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Currently I drip a gallon pickling lime everyday to maintain calcium and for top off. I also use SeaChem ReefBuilder raising my alk when necessary.
I started adding iodide again recently and my ricordeas, shrooms, xenia and candy cane seem to have all responded very well. Most of my softies and LPS appear fuller and I have even noticed slightly faster growth rates since beginging the iodide supplements again.
I know of a lot of people who use the 2-part calcium/alk complete additive with great success.
What I want to know is...what is your method for maintaining calcium and alkalinity? What supplements are you currently using?

D12monkey
08-26-2005, 12:33 PM
I currently doser 6 ml of NatuReef Akalinity Plus and Hardness plus to maintain the akalinity and Calcium levels. I also dose (5 ml) Iodine plus and Iron plus and the most important one that few people doser.... Magnesium plus into my tank. Why the Magnesium? Well most hard corals can't use the Calcium without having magnesium to use also. I have to dose about 10 ml of Magnesium everyday in order to maintain it a adequate level. The reason I have to dose so much is because my system evaporates approximately 2 gals a day. I didn't always dose magnesium but ever since I started my corals have had extreme growth and coloration to them. Not to mention the soft corals in the tank.

FragOutpost
08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
What brand of Magnesium are you using? I'll have to pick some up and a test kit sometime.
I have backed off a little on dosing the Iodide. I was dosing about 5 ml 5 times a week, and I've cut back to 5 ml maybe 2 times per week.

D12monkey
08-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Yea I the Iodine is needed if running MH they burn the iodine out of the water. I only dose 5 ml 2x a week. I use the Natureef since my LFS stocks that. The test kit is fairly expensive but worth it. LOL I'm lucky I don't have to buy it since my LFs will test for free for me.

D12monkey
09-17-2005, 09:24 PM
So how are the parameter's in your tank? Did you get the magnesium addative?

FragOutpost
09-18-2005, 05:57 PM
I've been to 3 of my local LFS's and none of them had a mag test kit. The next time I order drygoods online I'll pick up a test kit and the supplement. I'll let you know the results.

D12monkey
10-10-2005, 09:32 PM
So anything new on what you are using on your tank?

I believe I'm going to change my schedule of dosing and addatives. I'm going to stop doing it. Instead I think I'm going to start doing 5% water changes bi-weekly. To see if that works better for me.

Who knows might work a lot better, and cheaper.

FragOutpost
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Not much is new I'm still on the same dosing regiment, although I have a hard time maintaing alk above 9 unless I dose a lot of reefbuilder every day. Considering a calcium reactor but $$$$ is tight right now.
Otherwise everything seems to be growing pretty good.
I have a monti cap that literally seems to get bigger every day. I keep having to move other corals out of it's path. hehe.:)

D12monkey
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Nice... I'm doing 9 ml of the two part alkalinity and calcium everyday to keep my alk where it's supposed to be. I finally had broken down and bought a doser. But now I'm seriously contemplating a Calcium reactor to maintain the tank parameters. That and the 5% biweekly water change.