PDA

View Full Version : Other hobbies?

D12monkey
07-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Let's start this tread to find out what other hobbies the people here are interested in? I also do Scuba diving, skydiving, SCCA racing, love to read, sail and power boating, and am always willing to try something new. Well that is aside from the aquaria hobby. What are yours?

FragOutpost
07-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Currently work doesn't leave me much time for other hobbies. :(
Another hobby of mine is raising a sulcata tortise. I've been raising this one since it was a hatchling about 4 years ago. I think it is a female but I should be able to tell for sure within the next couple of years. At that time I will get her a mate and try to breed them.

D12monkey
07-24-2005, 12:30 PM
The way you tell if it's a male or female is by checking the underside of the carpace. If it's concaved in it's a male, if it's flat it's a female. I know how you feel. Work takes too much time out of my live. I say we work 2 days and have 5 days off.

FragOutpost
07-24-2005, 12:43 PM
It's flat, so I'm pretty sure it is a female.

D12monkey
07-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Looks like you got yourself a famale. LOL I know cause I would to work at a wildlife sanctuary and we took care of turtle too. The reason the males have the carpace concaved is because it cupped the shell of the female when it mounts her for procreation. :p Nice picutre by the way.

D12monkey
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Ohh I forgot to mention that I have 3 cats also. Here's a picture of the "Alpha" male :p Names Sammy

itZme
08-15-2005, 04:15 AM
work at a wildlife sanctuary and we took care of turtle too

Hey I used to work at a wildlife sanctuary when I was 18-19 in Florida. It was called Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary in North Fort Myers. I used to feed the animals, scoop poop and also do repairs and construct new housing when needed. We had some screen donated by a large geenhouse in the area and we folded it 2 times to make 4 layers and then attached it to the top of the cages to cover half of the area and they had shaded areas then. We were working on the large tigers cage (about 20ft up) and he jumped up and actually clawed the chain link that we were standing on :eek:

I have had almost as many hobbies as I have had jobs. I used to race RC cars, then slot cars, car stereo equipment took up many hours of my time around 1988-1990, I have a Datsun 260Z that I installed a 318 chrysler V8 into, I used to be obsessed with dart playing on a league, was really into shooting guns and reloading a few years ago (have 3 trophies from 3 years of bullseye competition), also have a love for pool playing (mostly 9-ball). I have a 9-foot table in the basement now and now the latest endeavor is my home theater system. It's a 106" DIY screen, Denon receiver, Yamaha speakers, DVD recorder, Hi-def cable DVR, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64 and PS1 all hooked up to the BenQ projector.

Here's a pic of the screen I built with my 4 yr old in his Superman suit to show the scale.

http://home.neo.rr.com/mypichosting/tv.jpg

Did I mention that I'm also into aquariums ? :shocked:
-- itZme